Throughout the process of rejuvenating this ancient house, we have been aware of the need to focus on sustainable practices.
- We have upgraded the insulation so that the roof insulation has been at least doubled, and in places, more than doubled.
- We have replaced the boiler with one with a 15% improvement in fuel use efficiency
- We have used flooring made of bamboo, now considered to be one of the world’s most carbon neutral crops.
- We have used environmentally friendly paints such as Rendona® and Earth Balance® paint throughout the building
- We have transferred all our energy requirements to the Good Energy Company, the only company in the UK to generate 100% of its electricity from sustainable sources, in our case from a wind farm off the North Cornwall Coast
- Where we have altered external walls, we have added internal wall insulation where practical
- We use bamboo based linen products in preference to water intensive cotton
- We are delighted that West Somerset District Council have recently initiated an excellent re-cycling policy which we fully support